The System We are in


Inter-related units which are working for a common purpose is called "a system" as defined in most of the books. According to this definition we need to point out the common purposes of our "very well designed" social system. I am looking around and cannot write down 3 common things for the society I am in.
Nowadays, I am reading a book: Liberty and the State, by Charles Kershaw Rowley. To be honest, it is not an introductory text for non-sociologists like me, but I am trying to understand the articles collected in the book by using my mathematics background. In this book, I am actually in the middle of it-not finished yet-and my reading speeed is about 5 pages/hour, it is very surprising for me to see the reality that as a free person it is not that easy to carry on your freedom in a society. I can hear the voices "Hey stupid! You don't need to be a sociologist for knowing that!" :) However, all I am trying to do is to understand the system, that affects "my being" most powerfully, in a scientific context. It is easy to utter the words of wisdom about life and society by using merely our personal experiences, in our daily life. But it is nothing! The only way to learn things and persuade the others is to listen and speak the language of the science in which the rules are very clear and simple.
In contrast, we are not actually reading that boring (!) stuff written by the snobs and following the myths and shaping our lives by the rules that look fuzzy, at least, for most of the intelligent ones it is easy to conceive the logical blanks, those become big question marks in time.
On the other hand, for an educated person it is not that easy to search all the scientific literature and learn all about social systems and design her/his life according to the things that learnt. There's no time! Life is short. So what will we do? Easiest answer might be the word "education". Use the education as a system for teaching the cumulative common information about life. And a subsequent question comes: "Who designs the educational system?". Yeah! A problem of trust to the authority that shapes our lives and we go back to the beginnig: How can I learn all the objective and true acquirements about social systems in a timely and practial way to dignify my life? Maybe a "supernatural" could summarize everything for us in a book. Maybe...
Or maybe a new technology would change the way we learn or the form of the information around and it becomes feasible to access and understand any information, any time. Maybe...
Maybe I should not insist on being so "definite free" in my life and let the life pass as it knows...
Or I could transform my understanding of freedom into a less free form...
Okay, okay. This is my first post and I might be going too far for a blog entry... I promise you that I will post more enjoyable things in time ;)

No comments: