Father


I have examined my ideas about being a man through a family perspective in one of my older posts. I still have doubts on this topic but it seems that Can Yücel had solved the equation as being the son of our legendary minister of education, Hasan Âli Yücel. I adore people who has straight opinions about their lives. I am sorry but I am not one of them.

Anyway, to make the story short I am sharing Can Yücel's poem that was published in the book, Altısıbiyerde, in 1988. This might be the best Turkish poem which describes a father from his son's eyes.

Hayatta Ben En Çok Babamı Sevdim

Hayatta ben en çok babamı sevdim.
Karaçalılar gibi yardan bitme bir çocuk
Çarpı bacaklarıyla – ha düştü, ha düşecek –
Nasıl koşarsa ardından bir devin,
O çapkın babamı ben öyle sevdim.
Bilmezdi ki oturduğumuz semti,
Geldi mi de gidici – hep, hepp acele işi! –
Çağın en güzel gözlü maarif müfettişi.
Atlastan bakardım nereye gitti,
Öyle öyle ezber ettim gurbeti.
Sevinçten uçardım hasta oldum mu,
40’ı geçerse ateş, çağ’rırlar İstanbul’a,
Bi helallaşmak ister elbet, diğ’mi, oğluyla!
Tifoyken başardım bu aşk oy’nunu,
Ohh dedim, göğsüne gömdüm burnumu.
En son teftişine çıkana değin
Koştururken ardından o uçmaktaki devin,
Daha başka tür aşklar, geniş sevdalar için
Açıldı nefesim, fikrim, canevim.
Hayatta ben en çok babamı sevdim.
                                                            Can Yücel

No comments: